Blackhead Lighthouse is situated at northern extremity of Belfast Lough in Co. Antrim. Opened in 1902, it is one of 70 lighthouses operated by the Commissioners of Irish Lights. When opened Blackhead lighthouse had both a light and explosive signal to warn passing shipping in fog.
At the foot of the steep cliffs below Blackhead Lighthouse, a coastal path from nearby Whitehead runs around the headland. To protect walkers from rock falls stainless steel Grip-Bar anchors with plate washers were used to help stabilise the rock and to secure steel netting to the cliff face.